Thursday, February 18, 2010

I Know Better than to be Friends with Boys with Girlfriends

Somewhere in my twenties I decided it was always best to assume that every guy I meet already has a girlfriend. Therefore, every guy, unless otherwise specified it off limits to me. I know this is illogical and counterproductive thinking, but it has served me well. Oh, wait, no, it actually hasn't at all, but that is neither here nor there in regards to the current topic.

What is important is that somewhere along the line this became true. Now that I'm in my late twenties it seems that yes, all guys (at least those I might be interested in) do in fact have girlfriends. I missed the memo: grab a boyfriend as fast as you can before they are all gone. Oops! My b! I was busy being adventurous and vagabonding across the country, figuring out who it is exactly that I am. I figured that was more important. I still do, but while I was out collecting life experience I was also ignoring the boys that really didn't have girlfriends. I as busy building up a wall with all my mental postcards and now all I have to show for it are pictures and stories.

I have lost many of my guy friends over the years and with everyone pairing off like they're getting ready to board the ark it hasn't been easy to replace them. Through experience that I prefer not to get into here, I have learned that it is best not to try to do so with boys that have girlfriends. Let me just say, it generally does not end with you gaining a friend. Too often it ends with complication and mess.

Mess that can be avoided by simply avoiding boys with girlfriends. So apparently this means I just avoid guys in general. Luckily, I'm already off to an awesome start.

No comments:

Post a Comment