Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Be Grateful (Day 7)


When I was living in London I remember having a discussion with a bloke who had recently visited the MidWest. Naturally, I asked him what he thought. He commented that he felt like everyone was fake. I was flabbergasted. How could this be? His response: everyone is so friendly there, no one can really be that friendly. Oh, but we are, my friend, we are.

Today I am grateful for being from the MidWest.

I am in no rush to move back to Wisconsin, but every time I go home I realize how blessed I am to have grown up there. Not only are La Crosse and the Mississippi Valley extremely gorgeous and picturesque, but the people there are genuine and welcoming. They are happy to strike up a conversation with anyone, happy to lend an ear or a hand to a stranger and truly know the meaning of friendly. They don't look at you like you have a second head when you ask for a favor and they don't brush you off when you just feel like a chat as you're checking out at the grocery store.

I'm quite convinced life would look a little darker if I had grown up somewhere else because I am certain my sunny disposition can be attributed to the great state of Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment