Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Short List

Before I moved to Portland I was convinced that once I arrived in the Rose City the stars would align in cosmic perfection and this would be the most amazing place I had ever lived and I would not want to leave. Ever. Unfortunately, such has not been the case. It is not that I don't like Portland, but rather that it simply is not the geographic bliss I had imagined it would be. Couple this with my desire to continue my career as a professional student (yup, you got it, I'm planning on a PhD after my MSc) and you've got yourself another geographic short list (some of you may remember the short list from my days in Phoenix trying to decide where to move for graduate school). In no particular order, here is the new and improved short list:

1. San Francisco

California is a magical, mystical place for me, which quite possibly may be attributed, at least partly, to Led Zeppelin's Going to California. The sunshine and the laid back attitudes are pretty much my idea of heaven on earth.

I'm currently having an especially steamy love affair with San Francisco. I have several really great friends that live there (bonus feature 1) and the city itself has a very European feel to it (bonus feature 2). Plus, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being that close to the ocean.

2. New York City

I have had a love/hate relationship with New York for several years now. I love it so much and I hate that I can't ever seem to afford to move there. There is still a part of me that finds New York to be the poor man's London. But if you can't be in London why not be in the next best place?

Like London there is always something to do (bonus feature 1) and there is culture to be found everywhere (bonus feature 2). Plus, the best roommate I have ever had lives there, which is a huge draw in and of itself. And the fashion. Oh, the fashion.

3. Phoenix

I spent most of my two and a half years in Phoenix trying to figure out how to leave Phoenix. I do not miss the city, but I miss my friends there tremendously. I also miss being close to my mom and step-dad (at least half of the year). And there really is something to be said for having sunshine every day (bonus feature 1). Oh, and there's also something to be said for really good Mexican food (bonus feature 2).

4. Minneapolis

In all honesty, I'm not sure I could ever do a real winter again (something to think about when considering New York too), but I do often think about moving back to the Midwest. However, the thought usually passes after spending a few chill days there. Yet, all but one of my siblings live in the Twin Cities and it is very close to my family (bonus feature 1). It is also one of the most underrated cities in the US with a plethora of culture, shopping, good food and good music (bonus feature 2).

5. Austin

I am one quarter Texan. As a kid I spent a summer living in Greenville (pronounced Green-vull), TX. I have for some time suspected that I am perhaps destined to spend more of my life deep in the heart of Texas, getting in touch with my Texas roots.

The biggest benefit of Austin is that it is not at all like the rest of Texas. It is like a little oasis in the red desert. Plus, the city itself it similar to Portland, but with much better weather.

Honorable mentions: San Diego, Chicago, Denver and Boston

No comments:

Post a Comment