Sunday, January 10, 2010

Comfortably Unhappy

Over Christmas break I met up with two guy friends, both of whom I haven't seen in a considerable amount of time and both of whom I used to be somewhat romantically involved with. Both of whom are now in committed relationships. Both of whom are remarkably unhappy with said relationships. They both stick it out for some reason completely unbeknownst to me. Neither could articulate any significant or profound reason for this need to stay in an unfulfilling relationship. The general consensus seemed to be that it was "comfortable".

This depressed the shit out of me.

Now I'm sure you're probably thinking I'm depressed that two guys I was once involved with are unhappy with two other girls instead of being happy with me. But, alas, you are wrong. It depresses me because 1. these are two charismatic and driven guys who, despite what I might have said about them in the past, both deserve happiness. And 2. because these are perfect examples of something I have long known to be true about guys: they will stay in unhappy and unhealthy relationships for no good reason.

It is not just these two particular guys that have lead me to this conclusion. It has been countless guy friends and acquaintances over the years who have unrelentingly complained about their girlfriends and then acted shocked when anyone suggested that they might end this unpleasantness they call a relationship. I cannot think of one girlfriend who has done the same.

Despite the fact that I have known of the existence of this unfortunate phenomenon for some time I cannot give you a firm reason for it. Maybe it is that women are less tolerant of unhappiness. Maybe it is that guys somehow convince themselves this is as good as it gets. Maybe it is something else entirely that I can't even begin to comprehend. I simply cannot fathom any reason to NOT try to make your life as happy and fulfilling as possible. But I'm a woman, so I guess I wouldn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment