Sunday, January 24, 2010

Be Grateful (Day 6)

Anyone who knows me well knows that I tend to change my mind as frequently as most change their underwear. It is not that I am flighty but more that I tend to get exceptionally passionate about something, someone, some place and can think only of that object until another eventually and inevitably comes along. This has not hurt me in any way (thus far), but I am sure has been more than irritating for my friends and family who have on more than one occasion taken me a little too seriously. I always mean well and there is a small part of me that truly did want to move to Austin, TX, go into music supervision, travel the world to visit every friend I have, get my masters in film theory, fill in your favorite Kelly life plan here.

As I age and mature, I suppose, I am teaching myself to keep focused on one plan and for the past three years that one plan has been to find a way to make a profession out of helping others. The parameters of that helping has changed slightly, one month it was troubled teens, the next was teens dealing with substance abuse, another grown children of divorced parents, and now it's college student. Wherever I eventually land, I know that I want to be in the helping profession. I know I want to spend my life being compassionate and empathetic. For that, today I am grateful to have the ability to put my life on hold for at least two years so I can pursue my master's in community counseling.

No comments:

Post a Comment