Monday, August 3, 2009

First Annual Father/Daughter Tour de Trempealeau


I really enjoy spending time with my dad. We both really enjoy spending time outdoors and eating. So in the spirit of father/daughter bonding I suggested that we bike from Onalaska to Trempealeau to have lunch at the famed Trempealeau Hotel. Dad was pumped, but it was not until I told my mom about this adventure that I realized what I was getting myself into...a 30 mile bike. Having barely ridden more than 10 miles in the past year I was mildly concerned that I would either a.) fall off my bike or b.) be too tired/sore/out of shape to complete the journey.

I am happy to report that neither were an issue. Riding a bike really is like a riding a bike; you never forget and unless you're a completely uncoordinated schmuck you shouldn't be falling off. And quitting anything is not really an option when Dave Pertzsch is involved.

Lunch was well worth the ride if only for the walnut balls. The Trempealeau Hotel is famous for their walnut burgers (now available at Festival Foods - I highly recommend trying them), which you can get in the form of a ball as a starter. Delicious. Although the recipe used at the hotel is supposedly a secret that will not stop me from scouring the interweb until I can find something similar.

Conversation always comes easily for Papa Bear and I. Highlights for me were my continued attempts to get him to make an appointment for a physical and his brief lecture on Lance Armstrong's mental endurance. I think talking about Lance when on such a long bike journey is mandatory.

Overall it was a great way to spend an afternoon. We returned to Grandma's where I promptly began complaining about how much my butt hurt. Dad, on the other hand, hopped back on his bike and did an extra 4 miles back to his house. Shown up by my 59 year old dad again. Such is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment