Wednesday, August 5, 2009

10 Reasons My Gram Is Probably Cooler Than Yours


1. She's lived through The Depression, World War II, raising 4 children on the farm, being married for 58 years and losing the love of her life five years ago.

2. She was a self-proclaimed work horse. She pulled her weight on the farm and helped Grandpa with the milking and the business end of things. Never one to just a farm wife, she's the matriarch of our family. It has always been, "What Grandma says, goes".

3. She has a wicked sense of humor. She has always not only loved to laugh, but loved to make others laugh too.

4. She's conservative, but she listens with an open-mind to her flaming liberal granddaughter's rantings. What's even cooler is that she accepts that I'm liberal and she doesn't try to change me.

5. She's nosey and a bit of a gossip (two traits I absolutely inherited from her), and she's unapologetic about it. Yet, she has a heart of gold and could never be malicious or unkind.

6. She is the definition of generous. She still volunteers her time for the church in whatever way possible. You tell her you like something she'll either give you hers or she'll find another, better one for you. She wouldn't think twice about it and she'd never expect a thank you.

7. She and Grandpa helped raise my brother and me (our mom traveled and our dad was a firefighter). I love my parents dearly, but I still hold that everything good about me comes from them.

8. In her hay-day she could out cook, out garden and out sew anyone. Although she doesn't cook as often as she used to, but when she does it is guaranteed to be the best meal you've had in a long time. Her mashed potatoes are in my opinion the best...in the world. Also, she makes a killer tuna fish and apple sandwich (sounds weird, I know, but I promise you tuna will never be the same for you after you've tried it).

9. She loves unconditionally, unrelentingly and selflessly. She still accepts my mom (her ex-daughter-in-law) as family. She has "adopted" numerous grandchildren, and even children. Once she opens up her heart to you, you're in for life.

10. She's 87 today and although time and age have taken their toll on her body, she has higher spirits than anyone I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment