Sunday, March 1, 2009

Sunday, Cookday

I'm starting to realize I should have made a resolution that involved cooking because I could actually be keeping that one.

I've never been one for cooking as I much prefer to have someone cook for me.  This is a trait I picked up from my mother who managed to marry not one, but two men who did the majority of the cooking.  Now, she can cook and actually is quite good at it, but she chooses not to.  I like this approach.  However, when you're single and living with two girls who don't cook either maintaining this lifestyle can be a bit difficult.  On top of that, I am sticking to a pretty strict healthy regimen these days and there are really only so many salads I can eat.

Last Sunday I had a hankering for some homemade chili so I went out to Target and bought myself a crockpot (chili is always best from a crockpot).  I called my dad to get his recipe but then at the grocery store decided to make a healthy version (turkey instead of beef and organic beans).  It was a hit! I was quite pleased with myself and decided to have another go this Sunday.

Today I tried Shepherd's Pie, something I am always missing from England. Again, I decided to go the healthy route with turkey instead of beef and skipping all the sauces. Not so lucky this time around, but definitely edible if not a bit bland. Next time (and there definitely will be one) I'll have to try another recipe.

I'm sticking to easy (and preferably low fat) recipes for now, but if you have any suggestions send them my way. Who knows, maybe I'll learn to like cooking after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment