Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Budget Cuts


Like our government, most Fortune 500 companies and ASU I have decided to make some fairly drastic budget cuts for 2009 (at least until further notice). There are certain things I am not willing to live without so in order to have those I have to give up a few other things. Here are the areas that will be hit:

1. "Literary" entertainment. No more magazines! I spend around $25 a month on magazines, sometimes more if I'm traveling. I'm not saying I'm not going to buy one every once and a while, but there is certainly no need to buy one or more a week. At $4 a pop, it's almost as expensive as smoking. And I get nothing out of it other than useless celebrity gossip and more motivation to shop.

2. Shopping. No new, old, used, thrifted or E-bayed clothes, shoes, or accessories. Although I will gladly accept gifts and hand-me-downs. :)

3. "Liquid" entertainment. This is where the two drink limit comes in. I know I've gone in to this before, but I'm cementing in here. Week three and going strong!

4. "Edible" entertainment. I eat out way too much. It's the easiest way to see friends and relatively speaking it can be inexpensive, except when you're going out at least 5 times a week. That adds up fast and hits the wallet quick. This will certainly be the hardest cut to make, so I'm still contemplating the stipulations. I'm thinking no more than 3 times a week. Hey, that's like a 50% cut!

5. Beauty products. I have a problem when it comes to the beauty aisle at Target. If you look in my shower right now you'll find 2 different kinds of body wash, 2 kinds of shampoo, 3 kinds of conditioner, body scrub, 2 kinds of face wash and 2 types of shaving cream. Ridiculous! This is so beyond necessary and incredibly expensive. More than that I have enough hair products to stock a salon.

6. Target entertainment. No more needless Target purchases. That place is my cryptonite! I can easily drop $50 going in for Q-tips. Here's the rule: I can only go when I need something and I can only buy what I have on my list. If it's not on the list then it's not in my basket.

7. Pet supplies. Hendrix is crazy spoiled! She has more toys than some toddlers. She absolutely does not need them all. She can only play with one at a time and she most certainly cannot tell the difference between any of them. On top of that she has a live in playmate to entertain her. And really, those things are about $10 each. That means there's at least $100 dollars in dirty, slobbery dog toys hanging around my house.

So there you have, the 2009 Kelly Marie Pertzsch budget cuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment